One of the things that blew me away when I started to get back into coding in this new day and age was the text editors.
I knew about Notepad and Notepad++, but working with Atom really sped up the code writing process.
Here are a few shortcuts that I couldn’t live without.
- Delete line (Ctrl + Shift + K)
- Duplicate line (Ctrl + Shift + D)
- Select whole term (Ctrl + D)
- Select next copy of this term (Ctrl + D)
- Close window (Ctrl + W)
- Comment out line or group of lines (Ctrl + /)
- Toggle sidebar visibility (Ctrl + \)
- Snippets! (Type something, then hit TAB)
You can type “html” then hit TAB and it will give you a bunch of boilerplate.
Duplicating lines is good when you have different, but related functions.
I’ve even been writing a few articles in Atom, working locally and easily making lists with (“ol” + TAB), (“ul” + TAB), and (“li” + TAB).
Which ones did I miss that you can’t live without?